Monday, March 04, 2013

Is Debian the Most Stable Linux Distro?

I have been using Fedora for many years. Fedora is the leader out-breaking new software. I have found many research related software are more comfortable in fedora than some other Dostros, which I have tested. But the greatest drawback of this OS is the instability and crashing of several times. Surprisingly windows 7 showed great improvement, however, it is not freeware.

Because of YUM and RPM system and is bluish configured, I had shifted in CentOS. Although CentOS is designed for server, it was good in desktop also. And I could install research related software and they were working well, however, not good for Skype. But when I made update a few days after installing 6.3, the system did not start. There was no facility for bug report at that case. It booted only and hanged on log in screen. I had restarted several times but same problem persisted.

Then I tried Linux Mint. I surprised with its awesome feature. Really, it was very good looking. But yesterday when I updated Linux Mint 14, Nadia, I got the same problem as CentOS. Does it mean Linux OS are still in infancy in terms of reliability and stability.

Probably, I have to try Debian but may I install the latest version of some software such as Libreoffice, VLC, Autodock, Chimera, etc.

At this stage I need such Distro, which is stable for at least for 2-3 years without compromising for the latest software and security. I mean the software / application could be installable a few months later than the final release date, if not immediately. Please comment if you have any idea.

5 comments:

  1. What happened then? Did you install Debian and if yes, are you happy with it? Was it feasible/easy to install latest versions of softwares you mentioned?
    I have the same problem too. I'm not a very experienced linux user though. For years I stock to Ubuntu and even accepted their unity with help of cairo-dock. But recently switched to Mint 14, but I have very silly stability problems, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, then I tried Debian, it is comparatively stable but contains frustrating old software.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous07 May, 2013

    You can try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which will be supported for 5 years from the date of release.

    You can also try Debian 7 which will be good for the next 2 years atleast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous17 July, 2013

      Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is on the contrary frustratingly unstable.

      Delete
  3. Debian 7 is not stabel, i have try that, bugs there

    ReplyDelete