Monday, March 04, 2013

Is Debian the Most Stable Linux Distro?

I have been using Fedora for many years. Fedora is the leader out-breaking new software. I have found many research related software are more comfortable in fedora than some other Dostros, which I have tested. But the greatest drawback of this OS is the instability and crashing of several times. Surprisingly windows 7 showed great improvement, however, it is not freeware.

Because of YUM and RPM system and is bluish configured, I had shifted in CentOS. Although CentOS is designed for server, it was good in desktop also. And I could install research related software and they were working well, however, not good for Skype. But when I made update a few days after installing 6.3, the system did not start. There was no facility for bug report at that case. It booted only and hanged on log in screen. I had restarted several times but same problem persisted.

Then I tried Linux Mint. I surprised with its awesome feature. Really, it was very good looking. But yesterday when I updated Linux Mint 14, Nadia, I got the same problem as CentOS. Does it mean Linux OS are still in infancy in terms of reliability and stability.

Probably, I have to try Debian but may I install the latest version of some software such as Libreoffice, VLC, Autodock, Chimera, etc.

At this stage I need such Distro, which is stable for at least for 2-3 years without compromising for the latest software and security. I mean the software / application could be installable a few months later than the final release date, if not immediately. Please comment if you have any idea.

7 comments:

  1. What happened then? Did you install Debian and if yes, are you happy with it? Was it feasible/easy to install latest versions of softwares you mentioned?
    I have the same problem too. I'm not a very experienced linux user though. For years I stock to Ubuntu and even accepted their unity with help of cairo-dock. But recently switched to Mint 14, but I have very silly stability problems, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, then I tried Debian, it is comparatively stable but contains frustrating old software.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous07 May, 2013

    You can try Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which will be supported for 5 years from the date of release.

    You can also try Debian 7 which will be good for the next 2 years atleast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous17 July, 2013

      Ubuntu 12.04 LTS is on the contrary frustratingly unstable.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous28 May, 2013

    Debian 7 is not stabel, i have try that, bugs there

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous02 July, 2014

    Can you please let me know How do I install Ubuntu on the pre installed CentOS server machine. I have a old frontend machine in which ROCKS centOS was installed . As it became 10 years old I replaced it by tonew one and try it format with UBUNTU. I made a live CD of UBUNTU 12.04 LTS and the try to format. That machine never can be formatted by UBUNTU. I tried every idea bu no luck. I never got GUI. I followed all possible solution but no luck. My machine has two dual core AMD processors 32 GB RAM and 4 1TB HDDS. CentOS 6 is easily installed but Ubuntu never shows GUI. Same installation medi can format another machines but can not format that machine. Please any suggestions
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ubuntu 14.04 (and Ubuntu 14.04 server) are available. I am confident it works with Ubuntu 14.04.

      Delete