Due to different styles of references for thesis or articles to be submitted in different journals or departments, reference managing software is exigent nowadays. Mendeley is a freely available reference managing software, which is the most suitable for Linux user, however, Windows user can also use it. Endnote is another good option for Windows user but we have to pay for license.
Full version of Mendeley 1.1.3 was released few months ago, download from here.
- Extract to your suitable folder e.g., to /media/sda5/softwares
- Run by clicking icon "mendeleydesktop" on the location of /media/sda5/softwares/mendeleydesktop-1.1.3-linux-i486/bin
- Go to "tools" and "Install OpenOffice Plugin" or "Install LibreOffice Plugin" (if you see the message "it won't find "unopkg" in its default location...................... or something like this" then, locate towards /opt/libreoffice/program and click "unopkg" )
- Click on "Add Documents" and locate any one PDF and add
- Open "LibreOffice Writer" or "OpenOfficeOrg writer" (equivalent of MS Word) and write something
- Click "Insert Citation" then go to Mendeley Desktop and click the PDF in the document section just you have added (BibTex or other format can be added)
- Click "send citation to word processor"
- Then go to word file and click "insert bibliography"
you can choose different citation styles according to your requirements.